The Vilamoura International School is a member of the Council of International Schools (CIS), an organisation dedicated to promoting international education, with over 700 international schools worldwide and bringing together an important group of professionals whose interest is in international education.
CIV is also a Cambridge International Examination centre and a Cambridge English Language Assessment centre. It is also an examination centre for the Alliance Française.
CIV promotes an education based on humanistic values which focuses on five key points:
- A special relationship with the Humanities and Science
- An understanding of the world, valuing it in all its diversity, richness and complexity without compromising each student’s points of view, beliefs and feelings
- Permanent encouragement of the inquisitive ability of students
- Research in different areas, linguistic and cultural environments whilst respecting students’ individuality.
- Education as a whole - theoretical academic and practical training with cognitive and emotional development.
Every year, CIV’s ideals and educational philosophy attracts international students as well as those from other Portuguese districts.
Today, in addition to Portuguese students interested in conducting their studies in an international school, CIV welcomes students from a variety of countries, nationalities, cultural heritage and linguistic backgrounds. Between 25 and 40 nationalities have coexisted over the last thirty seven years.
One of the most interesting features of CIV, is its curriculum: it promotes the early learning of foreign languages (Portuguese, English and French).
The multilingual communication and environment cuts across all classrooms. Students can follow the Portuguese Studies Programme or the English Studies Programme, both adapted to International Education.